Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A new adventure in 2014 ...

So let’s see who actually reads our blog … besides our parents!

Ultrasound pictures from our appointment on April 28 - measured at 13 weeks, 6 days!  Heart rate was 167!  I cannot remember what that supposedly means - boy or girl?  It seems that Ava's was similar, but I am not sure!

We’ve decided that we need to make a onesie that says “Made in Thailand.  Developed in China.  Born in the USA!” :)
I have learned a few new things about China while being pregnant: 
1.    Some of the food (especially the oils and excessive garlic) really stink!  There were about 2 weeks when all Chinese foods sounded awful.  I actually think this was part of the reason that returning to China after Hawaii was so difficult. 
2.    The driving is really awful.  For the first 6-8 weeks I felt sick every morning on my way to work and every evening on my way home.  Also, I can no longer read on the shuttle bus so I am going thru fewer books the second half of the year.  Guess it’s better for me to talk to people anyway.
3.    The Chinese are overly cautious (in my opinion).  The few coworkers that know I am pregnant cannot believe I am still running, traveling - especially flying - and basically continuing with my normal routine – besides drinking of course.
I have seen a Belgium Doctor in Wuxi and I absolutely love her!  If it weren’t for the lack of technology in Wuxi, I would probably have gone there for my 12 week ultrasound as well, but she highly recommended we go to Shanghai instead.  Therefore, off to Shanghai we went earlier this week.  And what an ordeal that was!  It was easy and everyone was nice, but it made for such a long day.  Because of my crazy work schedule these past few weeks, and the popularity of the hospital, I was limited on appointment times.  I was lucky to get one at 5 o’clock though on one of the last days during the window I could have the ultrasound done.  Unfortunately, they said that the ultrasounds finish at 5, so they suggested we get there by 4 to get registered, have the ultrasound done and then see the Doctor.  With the travel times and train schedules, this meant that we needed to take a 2 o’clock train out of Wuxi just to be safe.  So … with an exhausted 2 year old (we were traveling in Nanjing the day before so she went without a nap) our schedule was as follows:
1:  Leave Work / Leave Home and take taxi to train station
1:20:  Arrive at Train station and wait for train
2:  Get on train for Shanghai
3:  Arrive in Shanghai and get taxi
3:20:  Arrive at Hospital and register
4:  Get Ultrasound which was of course awesome to see the baby, but Ava cried the whole time as she wanted to be on the bed with me
4:15:  Wait for appointment
5:15:  Finally find a play room 2 doors down from the waiting room where Ava can play (why didn’t they tell us about this when we first arrived?!)
5:45:  Finally go in and see the Doctor.  Tell him that I don’t need blood work because I did it in Wuxi.  That I don’t need this and that because I will [hopefully] not be back at this hospital again
6:  Finish with Dr and check out
6:15:  Find Taxi back to Train Station
6:45:  Arrive at Train Station and buy tickets for next train to Wuxi
7:30:  Take Train back to Wuxi
8:30:  Arrive in Wuxi and take taxi home
8:45:  Arrive at home after another day of no nap for Ava … and we get to wake up early to catch an 8 am flight to Hong Kong tomorrow!  YAY for grumpy 2 year olds!

Needless to say, I am so glad this is my only appointment in Shanghai!  In fact, if all goes well, this will likely be my last appointment in China.  We will wait and do our 20 (ish) week appointment when we are back in the US! 

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!! I totally knew you would get preggers over there!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy for all three of you!!! Cant wait to meet your new addition come October-ish! :)

    ReplyDelete